Pages

8.14.2007

Anjou Bakery

If you haven't had a chance to take a trip on Highway 2 recently - out to the center of Washington state - put it on your list. If for no other reason than to visit Anjou Bakery http://www.anjoubakery.com/ in Cashmere, WA right between Wenatchee and Leavenworth.

I spent three summers in Wenatchee some time ago and had the pleasure of delighting in this bakery more times than I should admit. I also got to see the bakery go through several transitions and this most recent visit completely floored me. The space itself has always been comforting and begs you to stay and recline for as long as you can. The pastries and bread are what brought me back time and again, but this time the bread - oh my god the bread - seemed to stop time for me!

My mom and I ordered the baguette with brie and tomatoes - I must admit - this was perhaps the best baguette I have eaten in this state hands down. The scoring on top created perfect "ears" - as they say - and the coloration of the crust was near perfect. The whole experience from start to wonderful finish was more than memorable. I would argue that this bakery could awaken even the sleepiest of appetites! The photos might do enough justice to entice you to make the trip!